Article Type: Editorial
Title: Why Re-Orientation of Medical Education is an Essential and Needed Program to the Medical Institutions in India?
Year: 2023; Volume: 3; Issue: 1; Page No: 3 – 4
Author: Senthilvel Vasudevan
Affiliation: Formerly Assistant Professor of Statistics, Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Email ID: email@example.com
Article Summary: Submitted: 07-February-2023; Revised: 28-Febraary 2023; Accepted: 15-March-2023; Published: 31-March-2023
Reorientation of medical education (ROME)  is an essential program to the undergraduate medical students in all medical colleges/universities in India. Because, to increase the evidence-based medicine, to promoting and encouraging research in medical education. By this programme improve the knowledge and the development of medical education in India. Many medical colleges have faced many challenges in Worldwide through medical education and future research projects.  In this article, discuss about what is ROME, how it is implemented, trained, and what are all its need, and importance in the UG medical education curriculum in medical institutions in India.
Status of Re-Orientation of Medical Education Program in medical institutions in India
In India, some medical colleges have only implemented the ROME in their undergraduate medical education curriculum. But this programme is very important and mandatory in medical education studies. This programme is usually implemented to UG medical students at the time of their 2 months internship under the Department of Community Medicine in the Community/Rural/Urban Health Centers as per National Medical Commission, Undergraduate Medical Education Board, Government of India.  Then only the medical education faculties of the Department of Community Medicine will increase their knowledge in the recent development and in present situation of the subject and as well as about the in and around community and people status and lifestyles. By this ROME programme the research knowledge, community knowledge, present status of a various communities, food habits, diet pattern, status of sanitation, defecation, salt consumption, lifestyle, education, socio-economic status, per capita income, water sources, pattern of disease around the community, population increase/decrease and available other resources. By this way the medical students must pursue knowledge about the community and people. Another one important change will happen in UG medical students. ie., after finishing their internship they are willing and ready to stay and work in village areas/remote areas with full of their interest and intensive training of ROME.
Self-experience about ROME in medical college
The medical teachers are dividing the whole students into various groups, and various teams, teaching about the various steps of research methodology to the UG medical students including selecting a research question, proforma development, etc.  The non-medical faculty Assistant Professor/Lecturer of Biostatistics/Biostatistician/Statistician has to teach/cover data collection at the study area/community, process of data collection, data entry in Microsoft Excel 2010, its analysis by using existing statistical software via online/offline, various statistical methods and its applications in their collected data, elaborate the study results according to the results obtained from the data analysis, write the results, discussion, and conclusion according to the data analysis.  ROME has increased the knowledge of research among medical graduates. 
Once the UG medical students have gone through this ROME program then only they will have to become a full trained physicians and know how to conduct a survey/research/study in their posted community/block/area/district/state/country in their career. ROME programme has increased the research-oriented knowledge among medical students. They are ready to handle any kind of critical situation and pandemic situation/spreading decreases like Corona, Omicron, H1N1, and recently spreading H3N2. Then only, they will become a good medical educator in their life in any medical/research institutions. So, I must conclude that this type of ROME program/training is very important or mandatory to the undergraduate medical students in their medical curriculum.
- World Health Organization. Reorientation of Medical Education: Indicators for Monitoring and Evaluation. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/205860/B0084.pdf [Last Accessed On: 08 February 2023]
- Al-Muhanna FA. Challenges to Saudi Medical Education in the third Millennium. J Family Community Med 2009;16(2):67-69. PMID: 23012193
- National Medical Council: Implementation of new Competency Based Medical Education. Available on: https://www.nmc.org.in/MCIRest/open/getDocument?path=/Documents/Public/Portal/LatestNews/Implementation.pdf [Last Accessed On: 15th January 2023]
- Vasudevan S, Sureshbabu J, Senthilvel S. Medical Education: Reorientation of Medical Education program training and finding knowledge among undergraduate medical students in a tertiary care teaching hospital in South India. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2015;14(12):103-113. DOI:9790/0853-14124103113
- Vasudevan S. Biostatistics teaching to the undergraduate medical students through research-oriented medical education posting program in a Teaching Medical Institute in Coastal Area of Pondicherry: An experience of a biostatistician. Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences 2016;8(1):78-79. DOI:4103/0975-7406.171693.
- Chauhan RC, Purty AJ, Singh Z. A study on usefulness of Re-Orientation of Medical Education (ROME) posting in enhancing the research oriented knowledge among undergraduate medical students. Int J Pharmaceutical and Medical Research 2013;1(1):24-27. Available from: https://www.woarjournals.org/admin/vol_issue2/upload%20Image/IJPMR011106.pdf
This is an open access journal, and articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution‑Non-Commercial‑ShareAlike 4.0 International License, which allows others to remix, tweak, and build upon the work non‑commercially, as long as appropriate credit is given, and the new creations are licensed under the identical terms.